Pull libnvdimm and dax updates from Dan Williams:
"Save for a few late fixes, all of these commits have shipped in -next
releases since before the merge window opened, and 0day has given a
build success notification.
The ext4 touches came from Jan, and the xfs touches have Darrick's
reviewed-by. An xfstest for the MAP_SYNC feature has been through
a few round of reviews and is on track to be merged.
- Introduce MAP_SYNC and MAP_SHARED_VALIDATE, a mechanism to enable
'userspace flush' of persistent memory updates via filesystem-dax
mappings. It arranges for any filesystem metadata updates that may
be required to satisfy a write fault to also be flushed ("on disk")
before the kernel returns to userspace from the fault handler.
Effectively every write-fault that dirties metadata completes an
fsync() before returning from the fault handler. The new
MAP_SHARED_VALIDATE mapping type guarantees that the MAP_SYNC flag
is validated as supported by the filesystem's ->mmap() file
- Add support for the standard ACPI 6.2 label access methods that
replace the NVDIMM_FAMILY_INTEL (vendor specific) label methods.
This enables interoperability with environments that only implement
the standardized methods.
- Add support for the ACPI 6.2 NVDIMM media error injection methods.
- Add support for the NVDIMM_FAMILY_INTEL v1.6 DIMM commands for
latch last shutdown status, firmware update, SMART error injection,
and SMART alarm threshold control.
- Cleanup physical address information disclosures to be root-only.
- Fix revalidation of the DIMM "locked label area" status to support
dynamic unlock of the label area.
- Expand unit test infrastructure to mock the ACPI 6.2 Translate SPA
(system-physical-address) command and error injection commands.
Acknowledgements that came after the commits were pushed to -next:
- 957ac8c4 ("dax: fix PMD faults on zero-length files"):
Reviewed-by: Ross Zwisler <email@example.com>
- a39e596b ("xfs: support for synchronous DAX faults") and
7b565c9f ("xfs: Implement xfs_filemap_pfn_mkwrite() using __xfs_filemap_fault()")
Reviewed-by: Darrick J. Wong <firstname.lastname@example.org>"
* tag 'libnvdimm-for-4.15' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nvdimm/nvdimm: (49 commits)
acpi, nfit: add 'Enable Latch System Shutdown Status' command support
dax: fix general protection fault in dax_alloc_inode
dax: fix PMD faults on zero-length files
dax: stop requiring a live device for dax_flush()
brd: remove dax support
dax: quiet bdev_dax_supported()
fs, dax: unify IOMAP_F_DIRTY read vs write handling policy in the dax core
tools/testing/nvdimm: unit test clear-error commands
acpi, nfit: validate commands against the device type
tools/testing/nvdimm: stricter bounds checking for error injection commands
xfs: support for synchronous DAX faults
xfs: Implement xfs_filemap_pfn_mkwrite() using __xfs_filemap_fault()
ext4: Support for synchronous DAX faults
ext4: Simplify error handling in ext4_dax_huge_fault()
dax: Implement dax_finish_sync_fault()
dax, iomap: Add support for synchronous faults
mm: Define MAP_SYNC and VM_SYNC flags
dax: Allow tuning whether dax_insert_mapping_entry() dirties entry
dax: Allow dax_iomap_fault() to return pfn
dax: Fix comment describing dax_iomap_fault()